Top Ten T.V. Dramas

Joslyn Rico, Writer

For this week’s article I did some research on the most popular Television dramas. Now even though some of these are not exactly recent, they are popular dramas, nonetheless. In this article I am going to be counting down the most popular TV shows. If you do not agree with shows on this list leave a comment below telling me your favorite TV show. Without further adieu let’s get into these dramas.

#10 Glee (Available on Netflix)

“Glee” first aired on FOX on May 19th, 2009. Starring Lea Michele and Cory Monteith, it follows the life of 6 high school outcasts who find sanction in the school’s glee club “The New Directions”. It is a must if you are into cheesy jokes and covers of 90’s songs. It came to an end on March 20, 2015 after filming six seasons. (Rest in peace Cory Monteith and Mark Salling)

#9 The Fosters (Available on Netflix)

“The Fosters” aired on freeform on June 3, 2013. It follows the life of a lesbian couple who has a biological son, 2 adopted Latino twins, and 2 foster children. They go through the ups and downs of raising 5 children. And the twist one of there mothers is a cop. The other is the principal of their school. After six seasons it concluded on June 6, 2018.

#8 Pretty Little Liars (Available on Netflix)

A freeform original series, staring Shay Mitchell and Lucy Hale “Pretty Little Liars” aired on June 8,2010. It is a Murder/Mystery. Four girls find their friend missing one night. Turns out she’s actually dead. After her funeral the girls start getting messages from someone named “A”. Who they believe is their friend, Alison, communicating with them from beyond the grave. The show ended June 7, 2017 after 7 seasons.

#7 One Tree Hill

“One tree Hill”, starring Chad Michael Murray and Sofia Bush, aired on The CW on September 23, 2003. Follows the lives of the Tree Hill, North Carolina Ravens. Like many other teen TV shows covered topics like teen marriage and pregnancy, addiction, pretty much anything that happens in high school. The show is no longer available on Netflix, but you can find it on Hulu, and Vudu. The show even has an episode dedicated to a school shooting, which is a very real issue in our society today. The show went 9 seasons and ended on April 4,2012.

#6 American Horror Story (Available on Netflix)

The show aired on October 5,2011 on the channel FX. It stars veterans Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. If you have watched the show you probably know that the story lines change every season. With the story line change each season has a different cast except for the few veterans who have appeared in every season. If you are a fan you may have noticed how each storyline connects to the others in some way. This show has gone 8 seasons with the 9th currently in the making. However, rumor has it series veteran Evan Peters will not be returning for season 9, 1984.

#5 On My Block (Netflix Original)

This show aired in 2018. It revolves around 4 kids who grew up in a South Central, Los Angeles neighborhood. It’s scattered with guns and gangs. The kids ride there bikes around. They deal with loss, pain, and the overall suffering that is high school. The show is still running with season 3 currently in the process of filming.

#4 The Vampire Diaries (Available on Netflix)

Based on the book by L.J. Smith, this show aired on September 10, 2009 on The CW. Starring Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder as vampire brothers Stephan and Damon who compete over the attention of human Elena (Nina Dobrev). The characters get into some pretty nasty trouble but always find a way out of it. The show has two spinoffs “The Originals” and “Legacies”.  Both are available on Netflix as well. The show, sadly, concluded on March 10, 2017. However, they were able to get a good storyline in for the last episode so that’s a plus.

#3 The 100 (Available on Netflix)

The show aired on March 19, 2014 on The CW. It stars Eliza Taylor. Following the life of 100 juvenile delinquents. After a nuclear war wiped out life on earth, 12 space stations survived. Three generations later the ark sends down 100 juvenile prisoners to see if life on earth is survivable. The show is currently running with 6 seasons released the 7th in the making.

#2 Stranger Things (Netflix Original)

Starring Millie Bobby Brown and Finn Wolfhard, the show aired on Netflix on July 15,2016. Set in Indian 1983 the show follows the disappearance of 12-year-old Will Byers. It has some supernatural elements to it but focuses on finding Will. The show has three seasons but there is no confirmation for a season four as of right now.

#1 Riverdale (Available on Netflix)

“Riverdale” aired on The CW on January 26, 2017. It follows the lives of Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones. It is like a murder mystery, but they are teenagers going behind their parents backs to find out the truth. From backstabbing parents to serial killers, to killer board games, this show has it all. Including two musical episodes. With two spin-offs “The chilling adventures of Sabrina”, and “Katy Keene”, season 4 of “Riverdale” will premiere on October 9, 2019.

These are the top ten T.V. dramas as of 2019. There are several others that didn’t make the list. If you didn’t see your favorite, let me know, I will be making a part two. Don’t forget to leave a comment!